The curriculum at NTC is split into three key stages, details of which are listed below. All students are also assigned to a mixed age Learning Coach group when they join NTC, with their own dedicated Learning Coach who is there to support them as they progress through Key Stage 3 and 4. These groups are part of a wider Learning Community that meet together for an hour a week plus at morning registrations and Community Days. In these sessions students social, moral, spiritual, cultural, health and career related education is delivered. At Key Stage 5 there is also a team of dedicated support staff and a programme of PSHE and careers related sessions to support students as they progress towards further study or the work place.
Key Stage 3
- Key Stage 3 (KS3) covers years 7 and 8.
- The aim of the curriculum in these year groups is to develop students basic skills in literacy/numeracy, enhance key learning skills across the curriculum and ensure all students have the necessary understanding to fully succeed in their GCSE or vocational studies at KS4.
- The timetable is broken down as shown in the diagram below:
- GLAS is a project based learning approach delivered through English, Geography, History, RE and ICT, and it aims to develop core learning skills. In addition, students spend time on developing their literacy and numeracy skills as required to achieve their best.
- For Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) students have the opportunity to study either French or Spanish and they are asked to opt for a language before they join the school.
Key Stage 4
- Key Stage 4 (KS4) covers years 9, 10 and 11.
- Towards the end of Year 8 students choose the subjects they wish to study in the Options part of their timetable. This will be alongside their core studies as shown in the diagram below:
- The option subjects currently available are listed below, highlighting the subjects they follow on from at KS3
- It is also worth noting that to meet Government curriculum requirements, all students must study at least one subject from Geography, History, French or Spanish (highlighted in blue below)
Key Stage 5
- Key Stage 5 (KS5) covers years 12 and 13 and is sometimes referred to as Sixthform.
- In these years students can opt to study a range of AS/A2 or vocational courses.
- We are also unique in the area for being able to offer the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP) which allows students to study high quality vocational courses alongside internationally recognised IB Diploma courses.
- In addition, we place a high priority on continuing to build on students’ literacy, numeracy skills by helping those who have not yet achieve a good pass in GCSE English and Mathematics to continue to work towards this.
- A full list of courses available is available via UCAS Progress.
Options Available (students can choose one per block)
|Block B||Block C||Block D|
|A Level Computer Science||A Level Mathematics||BTEC Applied Science||BTEC Art and Design|
|A Level English Literature||A Level Photography||BTEC Business Studies||BTEC Engineering|
|A Level Product Design||BTEC Applied Science||BTEC Media||BTEC Media|
|CISI Diploma in Finance & Investment||BTEC Sport (non-academy)||BTEC Performing Arts (Drama)||BTEC Music|
|IBCP Literature & Performance2||IBCP Mathematics2||BTEC ICT||Certificate in Financial Studies|
|IBCP Film Studies2||IBCP IT in the Global Society2|
|Sports Academy||English and Maths Resits1|
1 If you require additional support with attaining a grade C at GCSE English and/or Maths this will take place in Block B in place of any option chosen.
2 These two IBCP subjects are taken together in this block.
NTC also runs a Vocational pathway which is aimed at those of a less academic nature. The aim of this route is to develop students basic English and Maths skills alongside appropriate L2/3 vocational courses, plus additional long term work experience. The aim is for all students on the course to then move into a traineeship or apprenticeship by the end of Year.