- Privacy Notice – Data Protection Act 1998
We, Northfleet Technology College, are a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act. We collect information from you and may receive information about you from your previous school, Kent County Council (KCC) and the Learning Records Service.
- How we use your personal information
We hold this personal data and use it to:
- Support your teaching and learning;
- Monitor and report on your progress;
- Provide appropriate pastoral care,
- Support you decide what to do after you leave school and
- Assess how well your school is doing.
This information includes your contact details, national curriculum assessment results, attendance information and personal characteristics such as your ethnic group, any special educational needs and relevant medical information. If you are enrolling for post 14 qualifications we will be provided with your unique learner number (ULN) by the Learning Records Service and may also obtain from them details of any learning or qualifications you have undertaken.
We are required by law to pass some information about you to our Local Authority (LA) and the Department for Education.
Once you are aged 13 or over, we are required by law to pass on certain information to providers of youth support services in your area. This is the local authority support service for young people aged 13 to 19 in England. We must provide both your and your parent’s/s’ name(s) and address, and any further information relevant to the support services’ role; this will include telephone contact details. However, if you are over 16, you (or your parent(s)) can ask that no information beyond names, address and your date of birth be passed to the support service. This right transfers to you on your 16th birthday
- Supporting you plan your future
3.1 How we share additional data collected in Year 10, 11, 12 and 13 with KCC
The information detailed below that Northfleet Technology College collects from you during Year 10, Year 11, 12 and 13 may be shared with other organisations in order to provide you career and other guidance and for administrative, statistical and research purposes relating to education and training.
3.2 Information we have to pass on by law
We are required by law to pass some of your information KCC as part of the Intended Destination, September Guarantee and Annual Activity processes. This is to assist KCC fulfil its legal obligation under the Education and Skills Act 2008 and the Apprenticeship, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 to assist, encourage and enable young people aged 13-19 (and young adults with learning difficulties or disabilities up to the age of 25) to participate in education or training. KCC are then required to share this information with the DfE.
We share the following information about you:
- What you are intending to do after Year 11 in terms of education, training or employment (your Intended Destination).
- Which post-16 provider made you an offer of a place on a course at the end of Year 11 or Year 12 if you stayed at this school after Year 11(referred to as the September Guarantee).
- What your destination is after you leave Year 11 or Year 12 or Year 13, if we are aware of this (as part of the Annual Activity Survey). This could include sixth form at this school.
3.3 Information KCC may share with us once you have left school
KCC has a legal responsibility to track all young people up to the age of 19 (and young adults with learning difficulties or disabilities up to the age of 25). The purpose of collecting this information is to assist the planning of education and training for young people and the support services they require. KCC will inform us of your current activity once you have left the school. This is in relation to education, training, employment with training you may be undertaking and whether you are NEET (not in Education, Employment or Training). Some of this information is then shared with the DfE who use the information to plan at a national level.
3.4 Information that may be shared with other schools and colleges
Some of the information we collect from you during Year 10 and 11 and as part of the Intended Destination, September Guarantee and Annual Activity processes may also be shared with EFA funded post-16 providers (hereafter referred to as ‘post-16 providers’) who deliver in Kent.
These providers are listed on www.kentchoices4u.com. These providers could offer you a progression route and support your transition into post-16 education, training or employment with training.
To support your transition to post-16 education and to support planning for future learners we, may also need to share further information on you directly with post-16 providers after you have enrolled, this includes:
- Whether you are NEET and may need support finding an education/training/employment opportunity
- Your activity after leaving a FE College after Year 12 or 13
- Your attendance record at school
- Whether you have been excluded from school
- If you have any special educational needs
- Whether you are looked after/or a care leaver
- Whether you are a carer
- Whether English is an additional language for you
- Whether you are a traveller
- Whether you receive free school meals, and
- Whether you are currently supervised by the Youth Offending Team.
- You have a choice about what information is shared after you turn 16.
You can ask that no information beyond name, address and date of birth be shared with KCC in regard to the provision of Local Authorities support services for young people.
To do this please contact the school office on firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know which information you do not want to be shared.
- How we keep your information safe
Northfleet Technology College keep information about you on computer systems and also sometimes on paper. We hold your education records securely and retain them from your date of birth until you reach the age of 25, after which they are safely destroyed.
There are strict controls on who can see your information. We will not share your data if you have advised us that you do not want it shared unless it is the only way we can make sure you stay safe and healthy or we are legally required to do so.
- Need to know more about how we process your information?
If you need more information about how Northfleet Technology College uses your information or to see a copy of your personal information, please contact the school office on email@example.com.
If you would like to get a copy of the information about you that KCC shares with the DfE or post-16 providers or how they use your information, please contact:
Information Resilience & Transparency Team
You can also visit the KCC website if you need more information about how KCC use and store your information. Please go to: https://www.kent.gov.uk/about-the-council/contact-us/access-to-information/your-personal-information
To view KCC’s Privacy Notice, please follow this link on the KCC website: https://www.kent.gov.uk/about-the-council/about-the-website/privacy-policy
- Need more information about young peoples’ services?
For more information about young peoples’ services, please go to https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/young-people or the KCC website at www.kent.gov.uk