Subject Title: BTEC Music Technology
Level : 3
BTEC or AS/ A2 levels: BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Music Technology
Grade ranges: Distinction*, Distinction, Merit, Pass
Exam Board: Pearson
Method of assessment: Mandatory Content 58%, External Assessment 33%
Length of course: 2 years
Information about the course to include units covered
Students demonstrate their skills and knowledge in a real-life scenario they are likely to encounter in the workplace. This course covers a wide range of areas including; recording techniques, live sound, computer based audio production, music and sound for media, remixing and also music technology for performance.
Ten Units are covered in total with five mandatory…
- Live Sound
- Studio Recording Techniques
- Music and Sound for Media
- Music and Sound for Media (externally assessed)
- DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) Producation (externally assessed)
Optional Units (x5)
- Creative Synthesis and Sampling
- Remixing and Reworking
- Mixing and Mastering Techniques
- Music Investigation
- Music Technology and Musicianship
- Working an Developing as a Production Team
Entry requirements: BTEC Performing Arts, GCSE Music or demonstration of performance ability on a chosen instrument (including voice).
Possible exit routes: BTEC Nationals have been developed in consultation with industry and appropriate sector bodies to ensure that the qualification content and approach to assessment aligns closely to the needs of employers. Where they exist, and are appropriate, National Occupational Standards (NOS) and professional body standards have been used to establish unit content.
- Cognitive and Problem-Solving Skills: Use critical thinking, Approach non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, Use systems and technology
- Intrapersonal Skills: Communicating, Working collaboratively, Negotiating and influencing, Self-presentation
- Interpersonal Skills: Self-management, Adaptability and resilience, Self monitoring and development.
The transferable skills that universities value include:
- Ability to learn independently
- Ability to research actively and methodically
- To be able to give presentations and be active group members.
- Effective writing
- Analytical skills
- Creative development and performance skills
- Preparation for Assessment Methods used in Degrees